Land & Biodiversity
Our operations place demands on the land near our facilities, which may impact landowners and nearby communities and put pressure on biodiversity.
Our approach to responsible land management includes:
- Avoiding development on sensitive land and habitats, where possible.
- Reducing our impact through integrated land management and mitigating risks to biodiversity.
- Reclaiming land we have disturbed to equivalent land use capability at the end of the project lifecycle.
- Contributing to conservation of high-value land and habitat to offset our impacts on land and biodiversity.
- Supporting studies, including traditional land use, that contribute to better understanding of potentially affected populations, habitat and mitigation strategies.
To manage our impact on biodiversity, we use a Biodiversity Risk Management Framework (BRM), which is a three-step approach for identifying and acting on the risks our operations may have on surrounding habitats and wildlife.
Fueling Innovation in the Oil Sands: